Bike Fit = Comfort, Power & Performance

Written by Duke’s Cycle Cannondale LapDogs Racer and Club Member, Dr. Kate Morgan

Suffering through 5 hours of the 8-hour with a sore back taught me one thing: the importance of bike fit. Over the few weeks leading up to the race I had started a dangerous game of putting my saddle ever higher and higher to gain precious climbing power that I felt was getting more elusive as we got into the O-Cup season. Although my climbing got faster, my back started to complain. Loudly. Especially my QL muscles (quadratus lumborum is pictured below for those who are interested).

No foam roller or tennis ball self-massage could get out the kinks.

So, I bit the bullet and decided to have a bike fit done by Michael Cranwell at Dukes. I had invested in my dream bike, the previous summer and had bought a new Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 carbon flat bar that I was itching to try out and I wanted to get it all just right. Enter Michael with his goniometer, laser level and experience.

I can’t remember how long he spent with me, but it was a long time. He put my saddle back down to where I had started, moved my cleats, moved the saddle on the rails, fitted the new bar, measured the steam and voila… my back was finally quiet.

Through the most technical and bumpy course of the season at Hardwood, my back didn’t even enter my mind. I’ve never been so happy. Plus, I came second! This fit was the best value for money I can imagine.

I encourage you all to see Michael and his magic tools.

Editor’s note: To make a bike fit appointment at Duke’s Cycle, please got to the online Bike Fit Request Form.

Raising a New Generation of Cyclists

Written by Duke’s Cycle Cannondale LapDogs Racer and Club Member, Barry Cox

I have known about the LapDogs for years and this season finally joined the club. I have found that like many things, the more I put into being a member of the LapDogs, the more I have got out of it. One of the ways I have become involved is by helping to launch the club’s new youth program.

Two of my absolute favourite things are being a dad and riding my mountainbike. Getting involved with the youth program has allowed me to combine the two. This is the youth program’s first year in many ways we have started off small. That said, after just a couple of months we have a core group of riders and a number of members have expressed interest in getting their kids involved.

One of the cornerstones of the LapDogs Cycling Club is group rides, and with this in mind, we at least one kid-friendly group ride a month (check the club calendar!). We had a really good turnout for our youth ride at the Spring Fling in May, and the weekend before the Canada Cup, Paul Reinis, Rob MacEwen and I took a couple of our more competitive kids, Max Chalovich (age 12) and Findlay MacEwen (age 9) – seen below – on a pre-ride of the race course. Rob, Paul and I had an absolute hoot coaching the boys, and as a bonus, Max and Findlay both placed very well in their categories the next day.

I have also found out the hard way that it is not easy to ride Albion Hills while towing my 5-year-old son Wesley on a trail-a-bike behind my singlespeed, although we both enjoyed every minute of it (although Wesley could probably have done without the somewhat shambolic descent of Tea-Cup…).

For those of you who have read this far, and are interested in getting your kids involved, here are some other things you should know about the program:

• Although some of the kids on the team (like Max and Findlay) do race, racing is definitely not the emphasis of the youth program. The emphasis is on riding with good friends and having fun, just the same as it is with the “grown ups”. Experienced members are on-hand to give tips if needed;

• Parents are welcome on the youth rides too. In fact, we prefer it if Mom or Dad come along, as we shoot for a pretty even ratio of adults to kids;

• Again, just like the rest of the club, on most youth rides it is necessary for insurance reasons for participants to be club members. The club has rolled out a new “Family Membership” for 2012 so that the kids can get out and get involved – more details on this at www.lapdogs.ca.

We have a lot of ideas for future events in the hopper as well. We want to do a couple of road rides (although probably on a bike path and/or back streets) to encourage safe riding and help kids develop proper group-riding skills, and you can count on us having an event at Joyride before the end of the year. If you have not ridden at Joyride, trust me – you do not have to be a kid to have a blast. We also hope to a couple of talks on basic maintenance and bike repair for the kids over the off season.

The great thing about this being a new program is that it can take whatever direction the members want, so if you have any ideas for youth program activities, don’t be shy – let us know. I cannot tell you how happy I am to be part of the Lap Dogs, and to be involved with this program. I hope to see you all out at youth events soon, and if I haven’t met you yet, please feel free to introduce yourself.

If you have any questions about the youth program, please feel free to drop us a line at [email protected] and one of myself, Andrew Ryan, Rob MacEwen and Adil Quereshi (who have all volunteered time and effort to this program) will get right back to you.

Happy trails…

Trek Summer Sale, July 12 to 24th

Every year Trek and Duke’s Cycle partner up, during the Tour de France season, to offer you special savings on current Trek Bikes.

The 2012 Sale will be taking place from July 12th to 24th

$100 off 2012 road bikes under $1500

$200 off 2012 road bikes over $1500

2012 Trek Road Bikes currently in stock @ Duke’s, include…

• Trek Madone, 1.5, regular price – $ 1269.99 – Get an additional $ 100 OFF
  • Trek Madone 2.1, regular price – $ 1499.99 - Get an additional $ 100 OFF
  • Trek Madone 3.1, regular price – $ 2049.99 - Get an additional $ 200 OFF
  • Trek Madone 4.5, regular price – $ 2399.99 - Get an additional $ 200 OFF
  • Trek Madone 5.2, regular price – $ 3699.99 - Get an additional $ 200 OFF
  • Trek Madone 3.1 WSD, regular price – $ 2049.99 - Get an additional $ 200 OFF
  • Lexa SL WSD, regular price – $ 1269.99 - Get an additional $ 100 OFF
  • Lexa SLX WSD, regular price – $ 1499.99 - Get an additional $ 100 OFF

Join us for a Ride

We’ve been talking about this for the last little while… so its about time we got things going. Starting on Wednesday, June the 13th, we’ll be doing Duke’s Cycle Shop rides. Our plan is to try and offer at least two rides per week on the following schedule…

Wednesday Evening Road Rides: 6:00pm. These rides will start at the shop and will be planned around a 2 hour ride. It is our intention to make these rides a social opportunity as well and a chance to work on fitness and group road riding technique. Pace will be fun and social.

Sunday Morning MTB Rides: 8:00am. These rides will be starting at the Bayview / Pottery Road entrance to the Don Valley MTB Trails. Pace will be fun and social.

Throughout the summer, we’ll also be featuring several special rides with members of our Duke’s Cycle Cannondale LapDogs Race Team, local Reps [Cannondale, Cervelo, Trek, etc.] and a few other surprises. Yeah… we may even get Gary Duke out on a ride or two.

Be sure to checkout and “LIKE” our Duke’s Cycle Facebook page for all the latest Duke’s Cycle Shop Ride updates, details, times, locations, etc.

BTW: Helmets are manditory, no exceptions. Please be sure that your bike is in good working order. If not… maybe its time for a tune-up.

Once you’ve worn SIDI’s there is No Going Back

Review written by Derrick Cho, member of the 2012 Duke’s Cycle Cannondale LapDogs Race Team, MTB Squad.

Having owned a pair of Dragons a few years back I’ve been racing in the Bontrager RXL Mountain shoes for the last two seasons, because well frankly I got a deal on them when I bought my Trek Top Fuel. While the RXL’s are fine shoes, comfortable and a nice fit, they were ready for replacement at the start of this season.

Thanks to the great sponsor opportunity we have with the Duke’s Cycle Cannondale LapDogs Race Team, I was able to get into a pair of new SIDI Dragon’s this season. As soon as I got onto the trails and put them through a few O-Cups I knew there was no going back. The close fit, comfort and seamless power transfer to the pedals are all hallmarks of SIDI’s design, attention to detail and devotion to the quality of their products.

With (2) SIDI’s in the house, one for indoor training (Dominator), one for racing (Dragon), I’m a happy SIDI boy. Welcome back, SIDI.

A Hard Day in Niagara.

Written by Michael Bandurchin, member of the 2012 Duke’s Cycle Cannondale LapDogs Race Team, Road Squad.

I was looking forward to the Niagara classic. 6 laps of a 12km circuit, ending in an infamous climb that can demoralize riders and break up the pack. For the Lapdogs Masters 2 team, a lot of email discussion over the days before kept us speculating about how the race would unfold. What kind of attacks the larger teams were planning, and how we would need to react. Edmond Mellina and I both had ambitions for this race, considering ourselves strong climbers. Roderick Grant had more modest expectations for himself, and committed to do whatever needed to keep us in the game. Consensus was that we should expect a break to form with strong climbers from one or more of the bigger teams, and we didn’t know what lap it would occur on, so we had better get to the top of the hill in the top 10-15 each lap.

Sunday morning we arrived, got registered and warmed up with some of the Senior 3 LapDogs. It was a warm day, as we lined up at the start you could already feel the heat. Roderick and Edmond were lined up near the front, I rolled up near the back a few minutes later, already a disadvantage if anything happens early.

Riders rolled out in a compact group, with an official on a motorcycle repeatedly warning riders about the center line rule (the center line was hard to judge with no lines painted on the road, riders pushed there luck with occasional warnings). Coming along Kilman road is the last descent before the rollers and the big climb. The descent has a curve to the left then an S turn, with limited visiblity around the curves. Last year I was a bit terrified of this section, riders would be passing me left and right, I would be worried about crashing. This year I felt a bit better, seems I’ve learned my primary focus should be on where the road is going, not on the rider in front of me. I must be descending faster, because not many riders were going around me.

The route turns onto Effingham and I know I’ve got to advance on the rollers and on the long climb. The pack is all together at the start of the climb, but streched out as we turn to go downhill. No break this lap, but the field has spread out and thinned out. The second time up the hill is just as hard, and there seems to be more urgency about a possible break. As the course turns onto a flat section leading to the first downhill I catch the wheel of a couple guys hammering to catch the break, at the bottom of the hill I see Edmond behind about 5 MGCC riders starting a rotating paceline. One of the MGCC riders is looking back, evaluating the situation and seems to decide that now is not the time, too many riders have caught up. The pace eases a bit, but just a bit.

On the third climb I focus more on conserving energy, staying in the saddle and spinning as long as possible, out of the saddle just for the steepest part, rolling over the smoothest pavement. After this climb and the following downhill we’re down to just over 20 riders in the lead group, and some at the front are pushing hard. I see Edmond again, we are both staying away from the front. The pace is hard at this point, and it hurts, we’re passing some straglers from Senior 3, and eventually a big group of S3 riders. I’m reminded of jokes made at the start line, “I think I’ll do this one solo”… “solo off the front or the back?”, and the idea of just letting the group go, doing a “solo off the back” at 30Km/h until I get pulled becomes appealing. But I know I can keep going, and will feel better later.

My race ended soon afterward when I crashed in the rollers leading up to the big hill. Two riders in front of me went down, and I realized I would be going over the back wheel of a bike lying on the ground, I’m not sure why I couldn’t remain upright, it happened rather fast. When I got back up my seatpost and stem were both turned 45 degrees, wheels rubbing. In retrospect I probably could have got assistance to straighten things out and continue. The mishap started with a dropped chain, the rider reaching down to get it back on the rings, not one of the crash scenarios I had worried about.

Congratulations to Edmond, who finished 20′th despite severe cramping in his legs 5Km from the finish.

Trek Demo Day!… June 14th

This is your opportunity to check out Trek’s eye candy…

Join Duke’s Cycle for an afternoon and evening of riding some great bikes from Trek. We’ll have the demo trailer parked at the Loblaws Redway / Don Valley Trailhead.

The Demo runs from 4:00 pm until 9:00 pm, Thursday June 14th, 2012

Bikes available for testing include:

Mountain Bikes

• Lush, women’s specific
  • Fuel EX9
  • Superfly 100
  • Superfly hardtail
  • Slash 8

Road bikes

• Madone 5.2, women’s specific
  • Madone 6.2
  • Domane

All participants must sign a waiver and provide a driver’s license or credit card. Helmets are mandatory We will have limited pedals, so its a good idea to bring your own.

Be sure to visit our Duke’s Cycle Facebook Events page for up to the minute details.

See you on Thursday!