From Spreadsheet to Trail… to Race Course!

Written by Larry Woo, Duke’s Cycle Cannondale LapDogs Racer, MTB Squad.

Firstly, let’s get the confessions out of the way… I, Larry Woo, am a cycling gearhead junky, always have been always will be. I love the mechanics of how a bicycle works and especially the sum of the parts that make it up. Along those lines, I find myself never staying satisfied too long bike before I start looking at removing parts that I felt should’ve been there in the first place.

So over the years I have put together many bikes, seen many trends, and experienced bad purchasing decisions that didn’t translate well when ridden. So my goal for my latest build was a mountain bike (singlespeed and/or geared) that would be showroom quality and perform brilliantly on the trail and race course. The voyage of completing my spreadsheet build was just as entertaining with great debates and suggestions from friends and staff at Duke’s Cycle.

With their help, here’s highlights of the build.

• Frameset: Kona Raijin Titanium Frameset (made by Lynskey Performance)
  • Fork: Cannondale Carbon Lefty XLR (using Cannondale’s LeftyforAll kit)
  • Crankset: Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL
  • Chain: SRAM XX1
  • Wheels: Stan’s ZTR Race Gold 29er
  • Pedals: Crankbrothers Eggbeater 11’s
  • Brakes: Shimano XTR
  • Handlebar: Enve Carbon Sweep Bar
  • Stem: Enve Carbon Stem
  • Saddle: Fizik Tundra
  • Seatpost: Cannondale Carbon SAVE seatpost

The result…?

Woohoo! This bike build is fast, comfortable, and responsive. The sum of the, best of breed, parts did indeed deliver. The bike is light, rolls fast, and eats roots and rocks without sending soul destroying shockwaves to the rider. I look at it as the allstar team of mountain bike gear all on my new ride. I look forward to completing the race season on my new steed, turning heads, and having indepth discussions in the parking lot about the build with the other gearheads.

Editor’s Note: In the debut race of the new “KonaLinksyDale,” Larry ended up with an impressive third place finish at the Sudbury Canada Cup, Ontario Cup #4. Proof positive that this is one fast ride.

Photo Credit: Stuart Murray (stumurray.com)